We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
There are many types of bites, although in the end, they are all similar. Treatment in all of them is the same: washing the wound, disinfection, examination of the animal (in case it could have any disease) and examination of the child in the following days.
We analyze some animal bites of different species, among which is, of course, the human race.
1. Amphibian and reptile bites: The species of reptile will determine the severity of the bite, both by the size of the animal and its jaws, and by the possibility of inoculation of poisons. In Spain, this possibility is exceptional and washing with plenty of water under pressure is usually sufficient. Iguana bites, an increasingly common pet in homes, are similar to the rest. More dangerous are the bites of crocodiles, alligators or alligators, which are very prone to infection.
2. Child bites of other children: And it is that after all, we are also animals. Variable frequency depending on different regions and cultural aspects, whose detailed explanation could be extended to a complete encyclopedia. Given the polymicrobial flora of the human mouth, this type of bite has always had a bad reputation and the risk of infection has been considered to be very high. However, the incidence is highly variable (10-50%) and will depend mainly on the location, the hand being the area of greatest risk, one more time. In this type of bite, the risk of transmission of hepatitis B, hepatitis C, human immunodeficiency virus and other diseases transmitted through blood should not be forgotten.
3. Rat bites: Exceptional in our environment, except in rural areas or in marginal social settings. The rat bite is the least of it and does not usually require additional measures. Wound infection is rare. The main problem is the possibility of transmission of various diseases, which is why pediatric monitoring is recommended.
4. Marine animals (jellyfish, anemones, stars or sea urchins, rays, etc.): This type of bite or sting has a number of different characteristics:
- They should never be washed with fresh water. Always use salt water, pressurized and cold, if possible.
- The wounds should not be rubbed, as the integuments and tentacles of these animals would be distributed over the skin, increasing their irritant effect.
- Ammonia reduced in water can be used to reduce itching and pain. Next, it is recommended to immerse the affected member in hot water to inactivate some toxins.
5. Bats, rabbits, piranhas ... The danger of the bite of animals such as bats is the possible contagion of rabies. There are many other animals that can bite children, such as rabbits, hamsters, piranhas ... As long as we do not lose sight of the fact that they are animals and we maintain some caution, there should be no problem. But in case of a bite, see your pediatrician.
You can read more articles similar to How to cure rat, reptile and other animal bites in children, in the First Aid category on site.